A Venom movie without Spider-Man seems like a dicy gamble, but the footage Sony debuted exclusively during Comic-Con 2018 had fans excited nonetheless. It didn’t hurt that they teased an eventual crossover with Tom Holland’s Spider-Man, although it didn’t sound like something that will happen any time soon.
In the clip, Tom Hardy’s character Eddie Brock struggles to get the Symbiote under his control. He tries meditating, but there’s footage of more violent scenes interspersed as he attempts to clear his mind. “You cannot change the past. But in the present moment, you are in total control,” a voiceover says, but clearly that’s not the case.
The footage showed Riz Ahmed’s character, Dr. Carlton Drake, demonstrating the Symbiote’s effect on an unwilling patient/victim. He’s intent on forcing humanity to evolve. In another scene, Eddie races down the street on a motorcycle while the Symbiote erupts from his body, attacking nearby cars. Eddie speaks to the Symbiote, which can project words directly into Eddie’s mind, or appear as a CG Venom head protruding from Eddie’s body. In another scene, the two appear to have melded and reached some sort of balance; the Symbiote face peels partially away from Eddie’s, and the two proclaim together, “We are Venom.”
During the Sony movies panel in San Diego Comic-Con’s Hall H, Tom Hardy said Venom will stick closely to the storyline in the Lethal Protector comics. “[Eddie] is an anti-hero, so he’ll figure on a goal, and he’ll do whatever he has to do to get to that goal,” he said. Earlier at SDCC, Hardy revealed why he took the role.
Ahmed said during the panel that Carlton Drake is a “genius billionaire inventor” who is trying to answer the question of “what does the future of humanity look like” with the Earth on the brink of ecological collapse.
Another Symbiote appeared in the footage as well, and director Ruben Fleischer explained afterward that as fans suspected, it was Riot–an adversary of Venom’s who is a “stronger and more powerful” Symbiote. He also has the ability to jump between hosts. “In our movie, you never know quite where Riot’s going to turn up,” Fleischer said.
Fans were expecting a little bit more, but Fleischer only teased that “there may or may not be other villains in the movie,” saying he didn’t want to give too much away.
However, moderator Jessica Chobot got one more small tease for fans, asking Fleischer and Hardy whether this cinematic incarnation will ever face off with Spider-Man, knowing that’s what fans really want.
“I have to think that the studio’s thinking the same way and that at some point down the road they’re going to run into each other’s paths,” Fleischer said.
“What, me? Go toe-to-toe with Tom Holland? I’ll have a go, yeah,” Hardy added. “He’s an awesome actor and I’d love to work with him, and I love Spider-Man. Who knows?”
Venom hits theaters October 5.
San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Coverage
- Comic-Con 2018 Schedule: Guide To The Must-See TV And Movie Panels
- Comic-Con 2018 Friday Schedule
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 1
- DC Universe Titans Trailer: F*** Batman
- Once Again, It’s A Nightmare To Get Into SDCC’s Main Hall
- Everything We Learned About DC Universe
- All The Exclusive Funko Pop Figures You Can Buy At SDCC
- Doctor Who’s New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed Alongside New Trailer
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series Is Back In New Trailer
- Cool-Looking Spider-Man PS4 Pro Bundle Announced
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer Reveals Some Big Fights
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Teaser Hints At Uneasy Truce
- DC Collectibles Reveals Toys From Batman, Justice League, And More
- This Huge Lego Thanos Demands You Bow Before Him
- Netflix’s Iron Fist 2 Gets Release Date, Teases Daughters Of The Dragon
- DC Holds Weird, Cult-Like Event To Promote Heroes In Crisis
- James Gunn Fired From Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- What’s Up With The “F*** Batman” Line In The New Titans Trailer?
- Andrew Lincoln Confirms The Walking Dead Season 9 Will Be His Last
- Netflix’s Disenchantment: Everything We Learned About Matt Groening’s New Show At Comic-Con 2018
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Footage Debuts At Comic-Con 2018
Go to Source
Author: Michael Rougeau
Powered by WPeMatico